top of page
  • Writer's picturemelkaconseil

Key Learnings from C2 Montréal

What can leaders learn from ambivert people to get the most out of their teams?

Discussion between Magali Legault, founder of Magali&Co and Dr. Karl Moore, Associate professor – strategy & organization, McGill University.

Leadership has changed in the past 10 years, and according to Dr. Moore, three groups have been at the forefront of a renewed understanding of what it means to be a leader. We have learned from indigenous leaders (and more can be learned from them), from generation Z (which is now entering the workforce in mass) and we have also learned about leadership from introverts.

Long have passed the days where only an extrovert could become the CEO of a company. Research has shown that many qualities often attributed to introverts are necessary to become a great leader. The job of senior management is essentially to recognize good ideas and to give employees the resources to succeed. Introverts can be great at that. They listen, analyze, and do not need to be the center of attention all the time.

About 40% of your personality (extrovert, introvert or ambivert) is inherited. The remaining 60% is shaped by the external environment. It is important to note that a person’s personality will change depending on the context. In certain situations, we all tend to become more introverted or extroverted (depending on the language spoken, the size of the group, the topic of the discussion, etc.).

A good leader must act introverted and extroverted at times. Therefore, it is important to understand where you are on the spectrum and where your employees are as well to ensure you can lead them efficiently, and keep them engaged.

Furthermore, being conscious of where you fall on the spectrum can help you adjust in certain situations. On the one hand, an extroverted leader should know when it is time to stay quiet and listen to not influence a meeting from the start. On the other hand, an introverted leader should realize when it is time to be assertive and take a stance on a difficult decision.

It is important to embrace your own personality, but also to recognize when you need to deviate from your natural habits and act differently at times. You must also adapt to your surroundings and adjust your style depending on who you are interacting with in your organization.

For additional information, stay on the lookout for Dr. Moore’s new book, which will be published in early 2022: We are all ambiverts now.


Diversity and inclusion: Beyond metrics and hiring

Discussion between Dr. Laura Hambley - Organizational Psychologist, Speaker and Author, Candice Morgan – Equity, Diversity & Inclusion Partner at Google Ventures and Jana Rich – Founder and CEO at Rich Talent Group

Diversity and inclusion have recently moved from a “check the box” exercise to a global movement. Businesses are now called upon to play a greater role and promote them in the workplace.

As leaders and experienced executives, the panelists from C2 MTL shared their perspectives on how companies can go beyond recruiting efforts to improve diversity and inclusion:

  • Focus: Leaders should make diversity and inclusion part of their identity & values, and they should make sure the topic is discussed consistently with the leadership team and Board of directors.

  • Taking a public stance: Employees and customers also expect leaders to take a public stance. The movement following George Floyd’s death is a good example. Numerous companies have made public statements against racism and injustice and announced donations as well as other displays of support.

  • Measuring and tracking: Leaders should make diversity and inclusion part of the overall corporate performance and should be held accountable. Metrics related to pay equity, advancement opportunities, job satisfaction, and diversity within teams are some of the few examples of that should be tracked by a company to improve diversity and inclusion in the workplace.

  • Making it a part of the “c-suite”: Having someone with a “seat at the table” that is dedicated to diversity and inclusion is one of the best practices. Having a Chief Diversity and Inclusion Officer is key to ensure leadership, education, action and change at all levels of a company.

Just as the human resources function has evolved drastically in the last years, the panelists predicted that the diversity and inclusion function could gain a lot of traction in the coming years and could become a key function, as important as finance, human resources or operations.



bottom of page